Travel Diaries: Newport Beach

Monday, August 10, 2015 Ivy O 1 Comments

When D and I planned on going to Southern California to visit his sister and meet his niece for the very first time, we knew that we were going to have to fit in at least one day at the beach during our busy week of sightseeing/meeting up with an old friend of mine as well as my dad's younger sister and her family. 

We had originally planned to head out to Anaheim for Disneyland on Wednesday, a day that neither his sister L nor her baby M were available for since she had expressed disinterest in going. However, our day walking about the San Diego Zoo and along the waterfront had tuckered us out so much that we decided against repeating the same amount of walking the very next day, and settled on a relaxing day at the beach. 

We had researched and consulted friends/family, originally choosing Huntington Beach but with the U.S. Open of Surfing happening, we went with Newport Beach so as to guarantee some actual swimming in the ocean and a nice spot on the beach to soak up the gorgeous California sun. 

I apologise for the lack of pictures, but it goes to show just how much fun I had learning to boogie board in the warm, sparkly salt water and letting my toes squish into the sand. I swallowed my fair share of sea water when I first hit the ocean with our borrowed boogie boards, only wishing that I had seen this video prior to our beach day. I made a few rookie mistakes of getting my timing wrong when jumping onto the boogie board when there was a break in the coming waves, and not holding on properly, thus losing balance and being pulled under. After many tries and failed attempts, I will never forget the feeling, though, of actually catching a nice wave and riding it out right onto the sand! It was a beach day that both D and I needed for some R & R, as well as some beachside fun :)
(D and I stopped to eat at the Newport Beach Brew Co. where we had some of their recommended and delicious burgers, as well as a cider for myself)

1 comment :

© 2018 finding the glitter. No part of this blog may be reproduced without prior written consent. Powered by Blogger.