Beauty Diaries: What's in My Make-up Bag?

Monday, January 11, 2016 Ivy O 1 Comments

As a regular contributor for Holl and Lane magazine, I share my picks for beauty products that are must-haves but I don't think I've ever shared what is in my own make-up bag! Inspired by this post from one of my favourite blogs (I've been religiously reading Cupcakes and Cashmere since 2010), I decided to post what is currently taking up residence in my make-up bag.
A hot beauty trend even Sephora wants its customers to give a try in 2016 is the use of a highlighter. I use this on my cheekbones, brow bones, bridge of my nose and cupid's bow. 

Also a highlighter, this one gives a more matte look and is liquid, best to be blended in with a beauty blender or you can use your fingers.

3. Too Faced Kabuki Brush
Super soft and great for applying blush across your cheeks.

I use this after all of my make-up has been applied to set the make-up.

Great for contouring, I try to accentuate my cheekbones by sweeping it under them to sculpt and define.

Some days, when I want a little more colour, I go for this rose gold blush to sweep on my cheeks.
6. Vaseline Lip Therapy
My ultimate go-to lip moisturiser going on for decades. I never travel anywhere without it! Although I'll use different lip balms throughout the day (like this one), this is always the start and finish of my day, every single day.

7. Laura Mercier Secret Concealer
I switched from Benefit's Erase Paste to this one as I find that the 1.5 shade best fits my skin tone and I found that it was less cakey than what I used to apply to cover up those dark circles from long nights of prepping, planning and correcting as a teacher.

I've been a loyal fan of this eye-liner since the day it came out. Although many friends (including my sister) have told me that they find it too difficult to apply, I love how easy it is it for me to create a flawless cat-eye day-in and day-out. I've received so many compliments from strangers on the train home to Ottawa recently, to even getting comments from teenage students who told me that my eyeliner is always "on fleek" which apparently means "really nice". The bonus is that it doesn't smudge and is waterproof.

Great for wearing on its own for a more fresh, laid-back look, or it can used as a way to plump up those lashes when paired with the mascara!

10. Anastasia Brow Wiz
I switched to this brow pencil recently after having difficulty sharpening what became a little nub of my Benefit Instant Brow Pencil. Wanting to avoid the use of a sharpener and having to deal with shavings all over my vanity, I opted for this brand which is known for their brow products. Check out the spotlight I wrote for it in Issue 5 of Holl and Lane, only $2.99 for a digital copy, or you can also get 25% off with the discount code ISSUE5FRIENDS&FAMILY.

11. Benefit Gimme Brow
I only pull out this product to use when my eyebrows are especially unruly. I may complain about my thick eyebrows, but I'm thankful I have bushy brows which are an easy fix, as opposed to non-existent brows. It's great for a little more definition and keeping those hairs in place.
12. Benefit Girl Meets Pearl
This is the second or third one that I've bought since I use it all over my face, mixed in with the next and last product in my make-up bag (see next item). I like how it gives a pearly, luminescent and dewy glow.

13. Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm
I discovered this product when I was living and working abroad in Hong Kong. Sa Sa is the asian equivalent to Sephora in Hong Kong and, as I have mentioned numerous times on my blog, asians take their skincare pretty seriously, Koreans being the most innovative with their products. This beauty balm is from Korean company Dr. Jart and is a staple in anyone's make-up bag since it's the perfect mix of moisturiser and offers light, tinted coverage. 

1 comment :

  1. Love what you keep in your make-up bag! I may need to share mine now - though it's only like 5 things :P

    ReplyDelete

© 2018 finding the glitter. No part of this blog may be reproduced without prior written consent. Powered by Blogger.