Teacher Diaries: Pet Peeves

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 Ivy O 0 Comments

As a teacher, I care a lot about spelling, but if I'm being true and honest, educator or not, spelling/grammar mistakes really annoy the heck out of me! I've always been a perfectionist, and I cannot bear it, myself, when I discover my own mistakes. Every time I see an adult write "would of", "could of", or "definately", for example, I cringe. I also immediately stop reading something if it contains too many mistakes. As someone who has a mild form of OCD, I like to make lists. I must have hundreds of Notes on my iPhone (consider me a digital hoarder), but one of them is entitled "Pet Peeves".

Here are just some of the mistakes that I've seen and put on my list, from both adults and children, where the wrong word is used, or it is completely misspelled:
- "are" instead of our
- "warn" instead of worn
- "should of" -- should've (which is the contraction with the words "should have", same with "would")
- confusion between they're / their / there
- to / too
- "course" instead of coarse
- "udder" (on a cow) instead of utter (for example, This person's spelling is an utter disappointment)
- "definately" instead of definitely (I've seen my own sister spell it with an "a")
- "congradulations" instead of congratulations (it may sound like "dulations" but it is spelled with a "t")
- "chebada" instead of ciabatta (the bread)
- "wonder" instead of wander
- "pole" instead of poll (like a survey)
- "kindergarden" instead of kindergarten
- "stationary" (immobile) instead of stationery (think fun paper, and matching envelopes)
- "Je suis fini" (which means I am dead) instead of J'ai fini from my students when they want to tell me that they have completed their work
I admit, I am not perfect (as much as I strive to be!) and have probably committed some spelling and grammar atrocities myself, however, it is never intentional! I actually make a point of looking up how to spell a word before I post/publish anything if I am feeling uncertain about the meaning or context of it. What are some of your pet peeves? I'd love to hear in the comments below!

0 comments:

© 2018 finding the glitter. No part of this blog may be reproduced without prior written consent. Powered by Blogger.