Glitter Diaries: Lunar New Year
Today marks the first day of the Lunar New Year of the Goat, and it is now the third one that I've spent away from my family in Ottawa. It's hard to believe that the last time I went to my Grandma's house (Mama O's mother) for a family gathering that always included plenty of prayer, the smell of burning incense, food, and laughter, was in 2012, the year of the Dragon (ahem, the best animal from the Chinese zodiac -- no bias at all...)
2013, the Year of the Snake, was a very stressful and emotionally-draining one that was spent in Hong Kong with my then-fiancé, putting on a "happy couple" charade for his mother and aunt who were visiting us, hiding the fact that we had actually broken up. 2014, the Year of the Horse, was thankfully the polar opposite as I was spending it in my home country (Canada) with my now (wonderful) husband, David, and my older sister. This year, I made a point of following the traditions that my parents had been wise enough to share with my sister and I while growing up in a Vietnamese household.
There are many superstitions related to the Lunar New Year (LNY), and as a result, there are certain do's and don'ts. One tradition that I remember most about the time leading up to every LNY was the clean-up. I made sure this past weekend to scrub and clean my condo until every surface shone (it is believed that sweeping during LNY symbolises sweeping away your good luck). On top of this, I made sure that all of my debts were paid off. Also, in true Southern Vietnamese tradition during Tết, I made a big pot of homemade "thit kho" (Mama O would be proud!), and wore new, red clothing (red is a lucky colour) on the first day. Of course, I didn't exactly follow all of the "rules" that supposedly bring luck... It is said that one should avoid washing one's hair during the first two days of LNY, and... I washed my hair this morning. Oops!
To my Vietnamese family and friends, I want to wish you all: Chúc mừng năm mới/Happy Vietnamese New Year! May you all: live a long life of 100 years (sống lâu trăm tuổi), have security, health and prosperity (an khang thịnh vượng), have everything go to your will (vạn sự như ý), have plenty of good health (sức khỏe dồi dào), and have money flow in like water (tiền vô như nước).
| {Starbucks Canada in select cities had the Blossoming Peach Tea Latte available, in celebration of Lunar New Year} |




0 comments: