Beauty Diaries: These Eyes
| {Wearing: Face - Benefit Hello Flawless custom powder cover-up and Rockateur blush / Eyes - Benefit Bad Gal Lash mascara and Instant Brow Pencil, Laura Mercier under-eye cover-up / Lips - Maybelline Baby Lips in Pink Punch} |
Growing up, I lived in the shadows of my stunning older sister. Every time we met someone together, I would always hear, "Wow, your sister is beautiful! You guys don't look anything alike..." For a very long time, I was not confident about my looks, and with good reason. Before braces from ages 11-15, and a drastic weight loss, I think even my own parents had a hard time going out in public with me! All jokes aside (or maybe I'm being just a bit serious), it wasn't until much later that I finally felt comfortable in my own skin, but that's not to say that I haven't had many ups and downs in my journey to feeling beautiful.
One thing that my mom has always mentioned whenever she tells stories of my childhood, is that I was born with lashes that you could paint the walls with. They were apparently the only redeeming physical trait that I had as a baby. On top of having enviable lashes, I counted myself among the blessed few that was born with the ever-coveted "double lid" (asian readers, you know what I'm talking about). However, I always wished that I looked a bit more like my sister for her large, beautifully-round eyes which had many often mistake her for being half-caucasian. To "fake" larger eyes, black eyeliner along my upper lash line has been my make-up trick for more than a decade, but today, I thought I would forego my usual heavy liner, and embrace the actual size of my eyes as well as try to emphasize the lashes my mom used to compare with those on a baby doll.




You are beautiful inside and out. I'm sorry you ever felt these insecurities - growing up is so rough! Thank you for sharing your story - shine on girl !
ReplyDelete