Glitter Diaries: Letting Go

Sunday, February 01, 2015 Ivy O 0 Comments

I posted about my resolutions for 2015 and mentioned spending less money on shopping (I've been pretty good this month!) and making the most out of my time with my husband. While I have had success with the first resolution, the second one needs work, and it requires me to let go of the little things. This is much easier said than done, I have found. I am currently (still) re-living all of the episodes of Friends c/o Netflix, and as I get closer to the end of the series, I realise that I am a perfect mix of Rachel Green's shopaholic ways, and Monica Geller's OCD tendencies, as similarly observed by my husband, and one of my close friends. As I've said regarding the first issue, I really have been successfully keeping my shopaholism under control. The second resolution however, has been quite difficult. When my husband lived with me, he experienced exactly what Chandler Bing did when he tried to clean the apartment without Monica's authorisation to move all of her stuff. 

Just like Courtney Cox's fictional character on Friends, I do care about how the duvet cover is placed on the bed (for me, it's button side down at the foot of the bed, grey side of my dual-coloured comforter facing up), I am also picky about efficiently folding the tab under on a roll of tape (as seen in the previous link), there is a right way to load the dishwasher (according to my husband, this is the perfect way to do it), and a specific order to how/what things should be cleaned in the house, amongst (many a lot of) other things. 

I do not pretend to have the perfect relationship with my husband -- let's face it, we would be living in a fantasy, Disney-like world if all relationships were without any disagreements. The truth is, my husband and I do fight, and when we do, it's not all sunshine and roses the second someone says "I'm sorry." I am not one who likes to apologise, so when I do, it's kind of a big deal. However, since becoming married, I have realised that it takes two to make it work, which means letting go of the old me who hates to apologise, and who holds on to all of the little things. Letting my husband load the dishwasher his way is going to take some getting used to, but I've learned that it shouldn't even be something that upsets me. The saying "Look at the glass half full" has never been more true in my life than when I think over some of the things that we end up fighting about. Most of them really are trivial, and are not worth fighting about. My mistake was focusing on how he was loading the dishwasher, but what I should have been doing was being appreciative of the fact that he was even doing the dishes. It's all about perspective, and about letting go.

I'd like to know, lovelies; what have you had to let go of that was difficult?


xx,

Ivy
{Example of me resisting the urge to shop: I put this dress back on the rack after trying it on and falling in love with the way it looked (and its price tag of $150, down from $328 CDN) at Anthropologie at Yorkdale Mall}
{Smiling despite having a pretty tough week, both on an emotional/personal, and work level}

0 comments:

© 2018 finding the glitter. No part of this blog may be reproduced without prior written consent. Powered by Blogger.