Glitter Diaries: Get Outta My Way!

Wednesday, October 07, 2015 Ivy O 1 Comments

I've been licensed to drive since I turned 16. In Ontario, we have graduated licensing that happens in three stages: G1 (learner's permit where you take a written test), G2 (driving on your own but with restrictions such as no highway driving) and then G (fully licensed). I got my G in 2007 and have been driving my parents' cars for as long as I can remember, but ever since moving to Hong Kong in 2012, and then to Toronto in 2013, I've been heavily relying on public transit such as the subway and buses. Last year, I committed myself to being the teacher representative on our school's parent council, and when I found myself nervously and fearfully waiting for the bus after meetings that would sometimes run until nearly 9:00 p.m., I decided that it was time for a car. Late nights at work, my safety, and the frustration of using unreliable, crowded buses all factored into my decision. While in Ottawa for a week back in August, my parents helped me find my first car, a 2013 Honda Civic EX which is only fitting since I learned how to drive in (and ruin) one back in the day. Hopefully, I'll take better care of this one! I'm definitely still a bit rusty and quite nervous on Toronto roads since everyone here is so aggressive and plain mean that I will continue to limit my driving to and from work only, for now (I've managed to avoid taking the 401 highway so far).

1 comment :

  1. Congrats on the new car! You can do it - I know Toronto driving is scary (I avoid inner city driving and stick to the highways!) :)

    ReplyDelete

© 2018 finding the glitter. No part of this blog may be reproduced without prior written consent. Powered by Blogger.