Travel Diaries: Europe, It's Happening!
(all the photos used in this post are from interfacelift.com)
I began 2016 by saying farewell to 2015, and welcoming the new year with three promises and resolutions to myself. Some updates on the progress of those resolutions:
1. I was supposed to (re)join the gym but it has since been put on hold due the humongous commitment of Mary Poppins rehearsals (I currently have 3-4 hour rehearsals, 2-3 times a week in the evenings). I plan to join in September when I know for sure that I won't have any commitments/excuses to keep me away from getting fit again.
2. I have been spending less and trying very hard to avoid shopping malls. There was a Spring sale with Aritzia recently, and instead of going crazy, I allowed myself just one single item, and bought it with a $50 gift card that I received for my birthday.
3. I AM GOING TO EUROPE! Although the first two resolutions are very important, I really needed number 3 to happen. I've had a tough year personally, and professionally, and cried more times due to emotional breakdowns than anyone should have in a year. My flights to Europe have been booked for this summer, and as of Sunday, I also have my *dream* visit booked. This past weekend, I bought and confirmed high-speed train tickets for myself and my friend S (who lives and works in Belgium) from Brussels to Paris, as well as accommodations in the city where Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre Dame was set, and where the Moulin Rouge, la Dame de fer and la Rivière Seine can be found. It's also known as the City of of Love, the City of Lights, la Ville Lumière...
PARIS is finally happening!
I was in correspondence with S over WhatsApp for the better part of Sunday, each of us on our laptops, one in Canada, and the other in Belgium, looking up train tickets on Thalys.com, and then affordable accommodations for our 3-day, 2-night stay in Paris. All in all, our round-trip tickets to/from Paris from Brussels, Belgium, cost 58 € /person, and as for our accommodations, we are within a 10-15 minute walking distance and view of the Tour Eiffel (I paid $330.98 for two nights at a hotel located in the 7e arrondissement)! In addition these bookings, S took care of getting us a bike tour during the evening of the day that we arrive.
Here is our tentative itinerary (not including time set aside for meals and a possible Starbucks stop for me to get my Paris bas relief mugs:
DAY 1
- Departure from Brussels in the AM, arrive in Paris about 90 minutes later
- Check in to hotel, drop off bags
- Set out to see le Tour Eiffel from Trocadero, the Louvre, Jardins du Luxembourg, Galeries Lafayette, et les Champs Élysées including the Arc de Triomphe (mostly on foot, and taking the metro when we need to)
- Evening bike tour
DAY 2
- Versailles
DAY 3
- Montmartre, Moulin Rouge
- Miscellaneous sight-seeing if some of the sights from Day 1 were missed
- Departure from Paris in the PM, arrive in Brussels about 90 minutes later
Although Paris is mostly planned and confirmed, S and I still have travels to Amsterdam (the Netherlands) and possibly Dublin + the Cliffs of Moher (Ireland) to plan. We also want to rent a car for one or two days to go around Belgium (Ypres, Bruges) and if we really have any time, Germany, too. I have added a new tab on my blog to document all of my travel planning as well as pictures, updates, and stories. Can't wait for you all to follow along as I post more updates (to come) when all the details and itineraries get finalised! My dream of going to Europe is finally happening!








Woohoo! I'm so excited for you :)
ReplyDelete#glitterineurope I can't wait! xx
ReplyDelete