Teacher Diaries: Making a Difference

Friday, May 15, 2015 Ivy O 4 Comments

{One of my favourite "teacher" tops because of the Eiffel Tower which symbolises (for me) that I teach French}
Once upon a time, I had aspirations to work for the Government of Canada (GoC) as a public servant, and move through the ranks and different departments. While studying and working on acquiring my Honours Bachelor of Social Sciences degree from the University of Ottawa, I was lucky enough to find myself with positions at Public Works and Government Services Canada, Citizenship and Immigration Canada, and finally, I worked for three years at the Privy Council Office. I spent nearly 5 years as a federal public servant, not all of them as a full-time employee, though. Throughout my time in the GoC, I was also pursuing a double major in Political Science and French as a Second Language (FSL). In order to complete my FSL major, some compulsory courses required that I complete volunteer hours in a French environment. I chose to work at a public elementary school with a French Immersion teacher, and it is this experience that I now consider to be the catalyst in my decision to switch gears. It made me realise how much I loved working with children, and teaching.

The ultimate decision for me to become a teacher was a rather sad memory. One of my most favourite high school teachers, aside from my drama teacher (I practically lived in my HS auditorium, be it for singing, acting, or giving speeches), was my Grade 12 French teacher, Mme Boissonneault. I remember working full-time as a public servant after graduating from the University of Ottawa with my Honours Bachelor of Social Sciences degree in hand, and applying to teacher's college for September 2011 enrolment on a whim. After I submitted my application, I questioned my decision to apply because getting in would have meant taking a year of absence from my job at the Privy Council Office to pursue the Bachelor of Education degree that I wasn't entirely sure about wanting (most people I speak to today, including parents of students, think I am crazy for leaving my cushy government job).

When I got the news that Mme Boissonneault had passed away from her battle with cancer, I was devastated. The group of us high school friends who were particularly close to her because we were the select few that chose to stay in the French Immersion program agreed that we would all attend her viewing. Upon our arrival in February 2011, there was barely any parking, and once we got into the funeral home, we could see why; the place was packed. It was packed with her colleagues, both former and current, as well as her students. Like my group of friends and I, everyone was there to celebrate her life, and recognise just how much of a positive, and lifelong impact that she had had on all of us. This sad, but eye-opening experience sealed the deal for me. I wanted to do something with my life that was worthwhile. I wanted to make a difference, just like Mme Boissonneault. 

I stuck to my guns, got accepted to the Bachelor of Education program at the University of Ottawa, applied for an unpaid leave of absence from work, and started my first day of teacher's college in September 2011. I graduated in June 2012, and now, 4 years after her death, I still think of her, and what she has done for me. It was her legacy and memory that helped me make the transition of being more than just "Ivy, the not-so-important federal public servant." I am now "Madame O" to 19 Grade 3 students this year, and hopefully I am making as much of a difference in their lives as Mme Boissonneault had done for me.

Update: A student of mine who, in my opinion, is really hard to impress, and one who is not affectionate at all (he won't even accept comfort from his mother when he is upset and crying) recently told me while he was getting packed up for the end of the day, in the most nonchalant and matter-of-fact manner: "You know, you're my favourite teacher." It meant a lot to me, and my heart just melted since I knew that he wasn't saying it as a way to "suck up" to me (as some kids have done). What he said was truly genuine, and although he probably doesn't realise it, he totally made me day, and also reminded me why I am a teacher.

4 comments :

  1. Incredible! I think you are meant to be where you are! :) all things happen for reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. I too was very close to my high school French immersion teacher. She just had heart surgery recently and it was a bit scary not knowing how it would turn out. But I do know that "impact" you're talking about, and it's amazing one of your students was able to say so,ething like that to you. Means you're kicking ass :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimiko, I am a firm believer in things happening for a reason. After being thrown one of the biggest, and most challenging curveballs in my life, two years ago, and seeing where I've ended up and with whom, I am grateful for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Kelly, for sharing about your own French Immersion teacher. I hope her heart surgery went well! Also, your "kicking ass" comment made me smile!

    ReplyDelete

© 2018 finding the glitter. No part of this blog may be reproduced without prior written consent. Powered by Blogger.