Teacher Diaries: Teacher Appreciation
I am now in Year 2 of teaching, and as I go on, I find that I am becoming more confident in my profession. Thankfully, there is one day out of the year that is dedicated to making teachers like me feel special and remind us that what we do, does matter. Teacher Appreciation Day was last week on Tuesday, May 5th. I arrived to work at my elementary school that morning only to be welcomed with a wonderful breakfast feast of coffee, freshly baked bagels, and muffins, c/o our school principal and the secretary (and Tim Hortons). For the past two years, my colleagues and I have also been attending our union's Teacher Appreciation event at Woodbine Racetrack. Above is a picture of my closest friends and colleagues, C & C (I have some gorgeous friends!), before we headed to our second experience at the horse races last Friday. Unfortunately, we were not located in a tent directly in front of the racetrack this year as the horses that we were betting on were racing at another location. Below, however, are photos from the previous year's event where we actually got to see the horses in action, from our posh tent.
I did "win big" this year, when I bet on a horse named Wildcat Beauty (in honour of my husband, D, who loves his dad's pet cat). To give you some perspective about my betting "strategy", I mostly bet on horses based on their names. Two other horses that I chose reminded me of two of my students' names, and one of them actually won me $4.95 from a $1 bet. Complete honesty here -- I still do not understand what I did to win, nor can I begin to explain how the whole "betting on a horse" process works, but Wildcat Beauty won me just under $40, and I had only bet $3 from the free $10 voucher provided to the attendees of the event. It was a great night, to say the least!





0 comments: