Glitter Diaries: Clarity in Canadian Cottage Country (Part I)
Prior to this trip, I had been worried about not being able to enjoy myself. I completely recognise that my voyage to the north (it was a three-hour drive from Toronto) was eons away from what is considered to be "roughing it." I was staying in a cottage (I use this word very lightly) that was larger than my parents' actual home, a place that they plan to retire in, in a suburb of Ottawa. Everything on the interior of my colleague's place was luxury with hardwood, tile, modern and fancy appliances, high-end furniture, all accented with a private dock that looked out onto a marvellous lake. My fears of some kind of disaster happening thankfully never became real, and I came away with only one mosquito
WARNING: you are about to read through some major cheese... you should continue to read further at your own discretion.
At some point Saturday evening, I snuck away from the rest of the group who were busy chatting and dancing away up in the unbelievable cottage that we were staying at. I ran down to the dock, and just stood. I looked ahead to the horizon to where the sun was setting, and looked all around me, taking in all the magnificent, natural beauty surrounding me. I could not help but think in my solitude just how at peace, and how truly, blissfully happy I was, in that moment. I thought that my balcony was my new escape from my sometimes chaotic and busy life in the city, but even then, my thoughts would be interrupted by loud sirens, or the shrieking of tires from someone braking too abruptly, and no matter where I looked, I saw tall buildings and street lamps from there. On that dock, however, there was nothing but incredibly green, leafy trees, the calm ripples on the crystal blue lake, and the gorgeous sun setting which painted a sky of endless colours. I breathed in, and out, and was able to let go, for just a second, all of my stress, my fears, my insecurities, and in that moment, I felt like I was floating.
I was probably out on the dock by myself for a good half hour before I heard the ladies up at the cottage calling out: "Ivy! Hello! Are you here?" They were searching for me, and as content as I was just to stay where I was, I had to leave my heavenly spot on the dock, and return for dinner.
In Part II of Glitter Diaries: Clarity in Canadian Cottage Country, I will break down the fun weekend that I had!




There's nothing like the feeling of nature, honestly. It's almost magical. Cottages, camping, all of that - I find I get that very same feeling. It's great to take a moment alone and just reflect.
ReplyDeleteThis is why, when I retire in 50 years, I hope to retire to a house on a lake :)
I completely agree, Kelly! I told myself (and the hubby) that my/our new life goal was to own a cottage that we can retreat to when we are ready to retire! It was such a nice way to relax, away from the hustle and bustle of the city!
ReplyDeletePure serenity! I'm glad you got to enjoy it!!
ReplyDelete