Glitter Diaries: Clarity in Canadian Cottage Country (Part II)

Friday, June 12, 2015 Ivy O 2 Comments

In Part I, I talked about the single moment of clarity that I experienced at the cottage, one that will stay with me forever, however, I left out the rest of the highlights of the trip which are listed below! 

*sigh* I wish we were all still there! Coming back to work on Monday in the hot, muggy, and rainy weather was not fun at all.

The Amazing People
I cannot even begin to explain how blessed I am to work with such an amazing staff at an unbelievable school. When I officially moved to Toronto, I was scared of losing everything and everyone that I was leaving behind in Ottawa. A permanent job and stability were two things that I could not pass up, though, so I swallowed all of my fears and just went for it. A  lot has changed since I spent a month of sleeping on my sister's couch so that I could even show up to this job two years ago. I now live in an apartment that I love, students that I see  and care as if they are my own, and colleagues who I adore, and who have also become my friends. Below are some of the most incredible people that I get to work with, and helped to make the cottage trip what it was, and it was truly wonderful.

The Delicious Ice Cream
I had high expectations when we stopped at Kawartha Dairy during the three-hour drive to the cottage. Like I have mentioned before, although I had never visited a cottage prior to this one, I had friends who were lucky enough to have been. Most of them, if not all, had been to cottage country in the very desirable Kawarthas. I have heard, many times over, that the best ice cream they've had is from Kawartha Dairy, so being there in person, was such a highlight! I got 'Salty Caramel Truffle' as per a very nice gentleman's suggestion from our stop at an LCBO, and was not disappointed. If I ever get another chance, I will go for 'Moose Tracks' next time!

The Great Outdoors
This was more greenery than I was used to. Thankfully, I was standing safely on the large porch/deck that surrounded the massive cottage that my colleague owned. It was such a stark contrast to all the concrete, noise and pollution that I experience everyday in the city. I had never been anywhere before where I could stand on a porch, look out, and only see Mother Nature in all her glory. It was a bit frightening, but I easily acclimated to my surroundings, and felt more at ease as the weekend rolled on.

The Lovely Lake
I grew up near Dow's Lake in Ottawa, but nothing compares to the day and evening spent on the lake that the cottage overlooked. Although it wasn't quite warm enough for a dip, the ladies all sunbathed on the dock (even with SPF 60 all over me, I also got a little colour without meaning to), gabbed over candy and snacks, and took a boat ride out to an 'island'. I had never laughed, nor smiled more while outside, surrounded by nature!

Sunset View and the Other Suns in the Sky
I will never get over that moment that I had out on this dock by myself when I was taking in the incredible sunset. It is a memory, and moment of clarity that I will remember for the rest of my life. Although I do not consider myself that religious, I really did have to take a minute to look up, close my eyes, and pray. I only had God to thank for this beauty and the feeling of peace and calm. I was not able to capture it on my phone, but when the sun was finally calling the other side of the world awake, the night sky that I got to gaze at from where I was laying on the dock was the most unbelievable sight I have ever seen; a million tiny and large stars, just blinking back at me. I was even able to see Venus and Jupiter. Being a city girl who has not ever set foot in the country where there is no light pollution, I was simply amazed, and in awe. 

2 comments :

  1. Beautiful photos. so glad you were able to appreciate it. I NEED a cottage weekend myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such a fantastic experience -- I'm so glad you got to fully immerse yourself in the beauty that is cottage country.

    ReplyDelete

© 2018 finding the glitter. No part of this blog may be reproduced without prior written consent. Powered by Blogger.